Student: Phan Vinh Thinh
Registered University: Can Tho University
The project aims to examine the interactions of hypercapnic enviromental in elevated temperature and nitrite to an air-breathing swamp eel for understanding the effects of hypercapnia, temperature and nitrite on acid-base regulation and hematological parameters on this species.
The research will provide basic knowledge about effects and adaptation mechanisms in exposures of hypercapnia, temperature and nitrite on acid-base status and physiological on swamp eel.
There are five main parts in the project as follows (1) effect of hypercapnia on small-size and large-size swamp eel; (2) effect of different levels of temperature on physiological parameters on small-size and large-size swamp eel; (3) combined effects of hypercapnia and temperature on small-size and large-size swamp eel; (4) combined acute effects of hypercapnia and nitrite on acid-base regulation and physiological parameters on small-size and large-size swamp eel; and (5) effects of nitrite in elevated temperature on acid-base status and physiological parameters on swamp eel.
1) Damsgaard, C., Gam, L.T.H., Tuong, D.D., Thinh, P.V., Huong, D.T.T., Wang, T., Bayley, M., 2015. High capacity for extracellular acid-base regulation in the air-breathing fish Pangasianodon hypophthalmus. J. Exp. Biol. 218, 1290-1294.
1) Tobias Wang, Thinh Phan, Mikkel Thy Thomsen, Do Thi Thanh Houng and Mark Bayley. The Asian swamp eel (Monopterus albus): A peculiar air-breathing fish from South East Asia with numerous strange adaptations. The Society of Experimental Biology. Gothenburg, Sweden, 3-6 July, 2017. (Oral presentation)
2) Phan Vinh Thinh, Le Thi Hong Gam, Christian Damsgaard, Do Thi Thanh Huong, Mark Bayley, Nguyen Thanh Phuong and Tobias Wang. The effects of hypercapia on acid-base regulation of swamp eel (Monopterus albus). The 8th National Fisheries Science Conference. International University, Ho Chi Minh City, Jun 28th, 2017. (Oral presentation)
Training courses attended
1) International PhD course on Physiology of Air-Breathing Fish in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam: Basic, Applied and Conservation. Can Tho University, Dec. 2014.
2) International PhD course on stereology. Phu Quoc island. Aug. 2015.
3) International PhD course on acid-base and ion regulation in hypercapnic world. Can Tho University. Dec 2016.